Do you love peanut butter? Do you love protein?
Do you love coffee?
If you're like me, the answer to all three is YES!
I mix up concoctions on a daily basis, tossing in my favorite ingredients and flavors to create a healthier version of recipes I love.
A grande Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino from Starbucks--made with whole milk and topped with whipped cream--will load 430 calories, 16 grams of fat, 70 grams of carbohydrates and 66 grams of sugar straight onto your waistline. I'm not denying its deliciousness, but the unhealthy side effects are not worth the temporary pleasure of the taste.
My healthy Frappuccino is bursting with flavor, provides the caffeine fix and has a balanced macronutrient combination. To add a simple carbohydrate to fuel your muscles pre- or post-workout, add in a frozen banana to the recipe below.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Smucker's sugar-free strawberry (or raspberry) preserves
- 2 tablespoons PB2 (peanut butter flour, defatted)
- 1 packet of Truvia
- 10 raw almonds*
- 1/2 cup banana bread flavored coffee (brewed and chilled)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop Cellucor Cinnamon Swirl Whey Performance protein powder
- 3-5 ice cubes
- 1 frozen banana (optional)
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend for one to two minutes (the longer you blend, the fluffier the consistency is). Drink up.
* I munch on 16 more almonds (26 in total equalling 1 ounce) on the side to complete the healthy fat component to a well-balanced midday snack.